I’ve never been a huge fan of bucket bags, but how can I resist Tom Ford, Alaïa, and The Row?!?! Besides, these modern versions are not the stiff, awkwardly dangling pails your mother carried in the seventies. These slouchy yet structured buckets have fluidity and movement.
Even Rachel Zoe’s version is calling out to me. (And at a great price! Is it me or are the RZ bags really, really good this season?!) It’s clear: I must get a bucket bag, asap. But which to choose? Chloé packs nice texture, though if I had no budget, nor conscience, I’d get the Alaïa and The Row. Both are completely different, so it’s absolutely justifiable. Speaking of the Row, I’m obsessed with their bags, but the prices are beyond my comprehension…but that’s a post for another day.
1. Alaïa Mini Studded-Leather Bucket Bag: All the studded, eyelet-inspired loveliness of Alaïa, updated in a compact and unexpected bucket style.
On Net-a-Porter for $2,785.
2. Chloé Charlie Embossed-Leather Bucket Bag: This quilted contender also packs a nice punch, and those silver-topped corners bring definition.
On Net-a-Porter for $2,595.
3. Rachel Zoe Joni Bucket Bag: Inviting, affordable, and topped with lengthy tassels for an appropriately retro twist.
At Neiman Marcus for $475.
4. Tom Ford Drawstring Bucket Bag: Sleek and sensuous: would you expect anything less from Tom Ford? I know I never do!
At Neiman Marcus for $2,690.
5. The Row Drawstring Bucket Bag: The Olsens have taken the bucket to a new level of covetable luxury. Alas, I will covet, and most definitely, restrain myself.
At Barneys New York for $3,400.