With an updated rendition of the film underway (I’m swooning over Leo di Caprio as the enigmatic Jay Gatsby) and a Ralph Lauren spring collection chockfull of breezy, boy-meets-girl flapper style (did you know Ralph designed the costumes for the original Gatsby film in 1974?), the Twenties are back with a great, big roar!
Make ultimate party-girl Daisy Buchanan jealous with an array of old-world-meets-modern bags to take you from city speakeasys to East Egg, Long Island to one of Gatsby’s famed soirees.
1. Delfina Delettrez Ring My Bag Clutch: The spicy jewel designer’s foray into bag makes for a classic silhouette so innovative, this silver-and-metal number will be the life of the party.
On Luisa via Roma for $2,271.
2. Ralph Lauren Beaded Clutch: The subtle bouquet of spring flowers might suggest country innocence, but this sparkler is made to house naughty accoutrements for wild evenings.
At Ralph Lauren for $3,750 at
3. Judith Leiber Natalie Beaded Clutch: Judith Leiber knows how to work a crystal – or a few hundred. Champagne may have been forbidden in 1922, but there’s no law against an evening bag this sparkly.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,695.
4. Miu Miu Velvet Pleated Frame Bag: The whimsical structure of this frame-top purse makes for an ideal counterpart to a menswear-inspired look – and , of course, a cloche hat.
At Saks Fifth Avenue for $1,595.
5. Judith Leiber Houston Semiprecious & Crystal Beaded Clutch: The Buchanans and their crowd are known for their unabashed decadence. Be known for yours with this spectacularly adorned clutch of Austrian crystals, amethyst, adventurine, and sodalite.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $2,997 (from $4,995).