This year’s exhibit, a meeting of minds entitled Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations, puts an instant emphasis on the eccentric, intellectual side of fashion. So it’s no surprise the couture and custom-made party looks ran the gamut from the classically elegant to the thoroughly out-there. Whatever they wore, few starlets strayed from true red-carpet protocol: the clutch. Here, my top five clutches and the lovely ladies who rocked them:
1. Jessica Alba: With solid 18-karat style, the actress is an irresistible choice. The golden goddess glowed in a Michael Kors gown and Pilgrim Pailettes clutch, adorned in layers of sequin hearts, from Roger Vivier.
2. Cameron Diaz: Cameron and Stella McCartney collaborated on her allover beaded gown (which weighed 30 pounds!). But it was her golden clutch, contrasted against icy-champagne beads, which gave the glistening look depth and dimension.
3. Lena Dunham: The creator and star of the new HBO series, Girls, proved she’s well on her way to becoming a woman. VBH’s fabulously angular Manila clutch highlighted the sleekness of her crisp yet tumbling gown by Wes Gordon.
4. Milla Jovovich: Independent and strong, Milla is made for her thirties-inspired Prada dress. The appliqués of the skirt may be eye-catching, but it’s the embellished clutch that delivers the sophistication.
5. Jessica Biel: Justin Timberlake makes fine arm candy, but he’s no match for a verdant Prada minaudiere. Also wearing head-to-toe Miuccia, Jessica looked demure and elegant in a fresh spring palette.
Image Credit: New York Magazine