There’s no reason to relegate a straw bag to beach-vacation time. If you opt for one with the right shape and details, you can gain a great summer basic in the laidback material: the casual vibe in a functional bag. Whether it’s a classic tote that eases into everyday life or a structured satchel that’s set in the grainy weave, these straw basics will surprise you with their versatility.
1. Barneys New York Woven Raffia Tote: Barneys’ house label is a solid go-to for basic totes that won’t bore you. Big ring details, a squared shape, and structural leather bottom help make this dark horse stand out.
At Barneys New York for $795.
2. Marc by Marc Jacobs Faux Leather-Trimmed Straw Shoulder Bag: There is athletic-sporty and there is smart-sporty. This friendly Marc bag has both going on in equal measures.
On Net-a-Porter for $300.
3. Anthropologie Daybook Mini Satchel: Not only is it a major frugal find, this satchel has both a downtown and beachside feel, thanks to the Rastafarian inspiration.
At Anthropologie for $98.
4. Foley + Corinna Straw Tote: This takes straw’s signature look and amps it up with a pop of color and horn closure. The result: it’s ready to travel or give you a sense of relaxation at home.
At Foley + Corinna for $295.
5. Fendi Big Mama Straw Flap Bag: Straw steps into the uptown spotlight in quintessential Fendi fashion. Patent trim and dab of snake-embossed leather dresses it up to the nines.
At Bergdorf Goodman for $1,330.