It’s a case of too much of a good thing. We love color, but put in the wrong hands (even they have the best of intentions), a good bag easily goes bad when the wrong decisions are made when it comes to color and fabrication. Here, a bunch of bags that are fighting with themselves – with a tragic misuse of skin, weave, tassels, and color combination, these bags show that sometimes less is truly more.
1) Dolce & Gabbana Mini Miss Sicily Top-Handle: I think the Dolce design team is overdue for an eye exam, unless tacky is their new MO. There’s no other explanation for this absurd combination of hot pink, houndstooth, and green python. On Luisa Via Roma for $1,275.
2) Burberry Prorsum Raffia Woven Christie Shoulder Bag: Like the queasy feeling this otherwise acceptable shoulder bag gives my stomach, the colors are off. Muddled and misconceived, the combo is reminiscent of barf. On Luisa Via Roma for $1,195.
3) Lanvin Amalia Patchwork Snakeskin Shopper: This botched patchwork job is truly shameful. Lanvin has taken the classic Amelia and made a wasteful display of snakeskin out of what should be a simple tote. At Browns Fashion for $3,047.50 (£1,935).
4) Jimmy Choo Laura Elaphe-Trimmed Woven Cord Shoulder Bag: Those tassels are probably more fitting to hold back 20-feet, floor-length curtains. Instead they hang from a dainty bag, woven in overly-done, too-festive, multicolor cord. On Net-a-Porter for $2,295.
5) Christian Louboutin Sweet Charity Python and Leather Shoulder Bag: Charity-worthy, yes. Sweet? Not so much. This Loubi is another snakeskin disaster. Please save the python for tasteful uses; the bright aqua trim further cheapens the look. On Net-a-Porter for $2,495.