If you love metallics, nothing makes a bolder statement than a shimmering bag. And if you don’t love metallics, well, this sharply edited collection of gleamers might just be enough to convert you from matte to high-shine. A well-conceived metallic bag is more neutral than your simplest black satchel. Like your favorite glistening metal jewel, it goes goes with anything and everything. Just keep your other accessories on the muted side or else you’ll look like you’re aiming too hard to shine, rather than reaching for the stars.
1) Lanvin Sweet Dora Resin and Leather Box Clutch: Glitzy, not garish. A flash of gold sans overkill, Lanvin’s angular box is as elegant as can be. Engraved metal and tortoiseshell details complete this must-have clutch. On Net-a-Porter for $1,990.
2) Nancy Gonzalez Metallic Leather Tote: Metallic gone mature. A subtle blend of distressed chocolate and bronze crocodile sounds good enough to eat – and almost looks it. Nancy’s take on the tote is also understated enough for work. On Net-a-Porter for $4,000.
3) Pierre Hardy Full-Flap Metallic Clutch: Monsieur Hardy does futuristic mod better than anybody. Like a splash of moonlight, this silver-and-gunmetal bag’s optional chain-strap is fresh and unusual. The overall effect is modern and sleek. At Barneys New York for $750.
4) MICHAEL Michael Kors Jet Set Large Metallic Leather Shoulder Tote: Kors is the king of jet-setter style, and his lower-priced line is a mainstay for easy chic. Whether you’re treating it like a carry-on or carryall, this gunmetal tote emanates both. At Nordstrom for $298.
5) Marc Jacobs Cosmic Tote: Accelerated metallics don’t get better than this surge of gold or silver. Your daily tote doesn’t have to be all black! Amp up the most ordinary of days, and add glam to your sweats with Marc’s otherworldly lambskin top-handle, lined in teal leather. Silver is available for pre-order at Marc Jacobs for $1,995.