Tired of black totes? Who isn’t?! An autumn-hued bag is the answer. The leaves on the trees might be falling to the ground, but fresh new bags are springing up everywhere. We get so caught up in falls’s standard neutrals (navy, gray, tan, and yes, black), we forget that the transitional season brings with it a whole cornucopia of rich colors. Looking at this crop of warm, rustic bags gives me excitement similar to the delight kids feel jumping and crunching in the leaves! Let these grown-up colors bring out the child in you; even if pumpkin-picking isn’t exactly your thing, these bags will bring with them all the delights of fall. And their warm oranges, dark yellows, easy olives, and plush browns will offer warmth to your wardrobe even as the temperatures drop into the single digits.
1) Acne Piega Oversized Leather Clutch: As smooth as butterscotch and just as delicious, this clutch will feel as good in your hands as it looks. And its gigantic size makes a strong statement. On Net-a-Porter for $620.
2) Mulberry Carter Suede Shoulder Bag: Rust and cinnamon come together in Mulberry’s super-current shoulder satchel. Toasty warm in color with cool hardware (I love how suede is woven through the strap), this covers your bases. On Net-a-Porter for $1,400.
3) MICHAEL Michael Kors Leather Saddle Bag: Wildly affordable and timelessly, stylish, olive brings edge to the traditional saddle-bag style. A little military and a lot neutral. On Net-a-Porter for $230.
4) Diane von Furstenberg Harper Day Leather Shoulder Bag: Flair comes in the color of warm apple cider. With tassels, chains and details galore, the Harper bag has spunk to spare. On Net-a-Porter for $625.
5) Proenza Schouler PS11 Canvas and Leather Tote: Get blocks of fall color without going all the way. Proenza delivers a relaxed canvas tote with just a hint of wine leather to give it real emphasis. On Net-a-Porter for $1,350.